Send a message via ICQ to Densetsu Send a message via AIM to Densetsu

And the expo starts.. today!

Have fun, everyone
Old 3 Jul 03, 18:18
seaechiowai(at)hotmail(do t)com

Densetsu is an unknown quantity at this point we think

Woo boy.

First we got there around 3, 3:30 ish. Parking was not that filled, we got to park right in front of Hilton Hotel. Our second party though thought the registeration was at Convention Center, screws up, and showed up around 5 lol. Surprisingly there weren't that much traffic. Hilton.. is top tier. This place is huuuuge, it's easily 2x, maybe 3x times the Hilton back at Long Beach Convention Center. It was clean, there were ton of groups, and I could easily guess they were here for the expo.

Lots of waiting on the first day.
Ticketing was supposed to start 4 o'clock yesterday, but the genius guy who was in charge of security/lining decides that he'll do pre-reg pre paid guys first, and when they were gone, move onto the pre reg unpaid. Well the problem was, even after 8'oclock, the pre reg pre paid guys kept coming in. SO.. around 7 oclock, the security staff finally realize that unpaid pre reg and unpaid at-con reg con crowd is starting to get upset, decide to do bigger crowd first, which was unpaid at con reg. In short, us unpaid prereg guys got screwed hard, and my brain makes a little note to do PREPAID prereg next year. =x=;; It took us 4 1/2 hours to finally register, but good thing was that we didn't have to wait at all for volunteering staff meeting. I also learned that the part in schedules that was BLANK wasn't TBA, rather it was fansub stuff that will show at video 3 at night. Interesting.

During the wait, a musician about one or two group in front of us fires out her violin, performs some of familiar themes from random anime, the ones I recognized were Kenshin, Fruits Basket, Gundam Wing, Gravitation(well, the musician was a woman), and I think there were some GTO bits also.
Costumes! Well, I can tell you there's gonna be a ton of cosplay this year if everyone who came today shows up. Sorry, I didn't take my camera.. I'll promise for photos other days. I've seen the couple Chi(schoolgirl one was better than Maid one unfortunately, the maid had a saggy boob lol), that one elite ninja kid from Naruto, couple of Agents(might have been Turks), LOTS of anime T-shirts(hmm.. lots of Dot Hack T-shirts.. I suspect they're from the box sets), overall even though there were a lot of waiting it still had a lot to watch. Some guy brought in his apple laptop(*name?), taping the stuff. Geeky stuff, but definitely cool for geeks like us.

Volunteering. The first day rather went well, I'm a newbie at volunteering for AX, but it didn't seem hard. First job consisted of stuffing in the viz crap, schedule, the noir free episode disc, some car ads, and some other viz crap and put it into the shonen jump plastic bags. Hmm, with educated guess, Viz is the sponsor this year o.o !! Pizza and cookies, and Jellie thingie(my Japanese wasn't good enough for kanji) were good, too good lol. I ended up stuffing myself. Those Jelley thing, man the grape one was top tier.
The leading staff had blue vests so the volunteering staff can be recognized seperate from the security guys who had red vests. Already I've seen Sprited Away and ADV previews which were playing at the volunteering sign up room, I could tell already there were gonna be ton of anime, more anime than I could handle. Hells ya.
Crash space was actually quite good; we joked that little corner off the volunteering signup room were crash space, but it's really a hotel room at Merriot. So, with that I'm guessin we get a free ticket to masquerades and AMV. It's at 14th floor, I haven't ridden elevator since I left Korea, it was dizzying. XD Room 1406.
Sharing room with one guy from my party Pat, and about 8 other guys, but the room itself is pretty big, so it worked out right.

Didn't get to go to Dance last night. :\ but in exchange it was T3. That movie didn't suck ass :D Movie had good story to tie up everything, but I doubt there will be T4, they closed off a lot of stuff from T1 and T2. Movie ended at 1 o'clock =_= zzz we barely crawl back to crash space and get some sleep.

Today, there's gonna be the Opening Ceremonies(yeah!!) at.. 10 oclock. I'll post later today, hopefully with pictures.

This post was smuggled in from Mexico by Densetsu; 3 Jul 03 at 18:32.
Old 3 Jul 03, 18:45
King:Queen

Sion is an unknown quantity at this point we think
Send a message via Yahoo to Sion

I feel ashamed to call myself an Otaku now
Old 6 Jul 03, 04:39
Party dude

Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point we think
Send a message via AIM to Dragon

The expo was great.

I went with Dancingbalde where we later met up with friends.
We had no clue what we were doing when we first got their, so we called our friend. She was very helpful, that see was. The majority of out time was spent walking in The exibit hall, but it was still cool. We payed half and half for Ranma one to get in signed, but we never got around to it. We did get Justin cook ( i belive it's Justin cook, he did sign my poster To: Justin From: Justin)
That was cool... I don't fold to well so there not i perfect condition but still cool.

However, where there is light there is aslo darkness... that darkness was,
A male Faye, with a hairy ass... yuck.
That was by far the bad point of the day, that it was. But overall it was very cool.
I didnt steal anything but i was surpized at how easy it would be.

I Ended up getting Sakura war, but I'm not going to get to watch it till Sunday or monday. Oh well, Looking forward to next year, and also antoher one In Agust... it's free admission so We be saving up for it (just to let you know, stuff at the expo is costly)

Alright, twas cool. I recommend those who can going next year. later

-frostydragon
im sorry but black people are looters... white people on the other hand are serial killers and rapists while hispanics are smugglers and asians are... well they have small can of beanss so i guess they dont need anything else to go agaisnt them
Old 7 Jul 03, 08:42

LMAO yea I saw that man faye too, he was there on the first day.. his costumes were too.. tight yuck I have the picture, but unfortunately it's an ass shot lol if you guys want it I'll put it up. The sad thing is that it was in fact an excellent costume job. =x

Oh and don't worry, the Ranma party afaiu didn't get so well so you didn't miss much.

Expo.. is over today!! What a year. Masquerade and AMV had a bit of problem regarding lines, but of course, it was a definite improvement compared to last year.

Highlights:
AMV, J-rock concert(Duel Jewl), Yoshitoshi ABe's art gallery inside exhibition hall, ADV booth, Narue no Sekai raw test showing, Yukii Kajira concert, AnimeNation Forum meeting, Midnight Madness, and Volunteer member/staffs' closing event.

Costumes highlights:
A LOT of Witch Hunter Robin herselves, Inu Yasha, lots of Final Fantasy(my favorite one was the crossdressing Cloud), a really really well done Plum from Chobits, "The box from Metal Gear Solid," the usual fighting game guys-my friend was cosplaying as Millia-and the Gundam guy.

AX's new stuff-AX Idol-was great in paper and actually the contestants themselves were extremely EXTREMELY talented, but the audiences didn't show up and it wasn't honestly too much different from karaoke. They didn't do voice acting like they announced.

AMV on Friday night.
Okay, I was lucky enough to be the volunteer for this event, in the end a rocking 5000 plus people showed up, which was at least a thousand more than the main event room's max capasities. Obviously the problem was the lines, honestly even myself quite didn't get why we had to have people wait outside without letting them in: I asked our staff(volunteer staff. I was a regular volunteer, not staff) if we could open up the three doors and the answer was no, the seating supposedly had been arranged in wierd orders; that answer didn't make sense to me, so I asked some other staff the same question, but this time the annoyed staff just tells me to do what I'm told to do. :\ indeed.
People have been waiting in line since 7:00PM that night, and the AMV seating was finished at 10:30PM. It's clear that people were very angry, they started chanting "Let us in!!!," and I swear I thought I was gonna die. For the people who got in after 8:00PM we played past AMV winners including Tainted Donuts(this is the Trigun vs Cowboy Beebop video) so folks inside didn't get bored. Or at least, we could help them feel less bored. Besides the line, tech guys also had problems turning off the lights compeletely and the left screen from the back row had a glare, I believe. Hopefully that'll change next year along with the whole voucher system, it makes both volunteers and audiences do fruitless extra work(their reason is that it can be given out to more people). Everything worked out in the end though, after 30,40 minutes into the show we have finished seating everyone and started letting people go to restroom. If you felt like going to goint to restroom, I'm sorry I probably have you waited that night. My apologies in advance.
The AMV winner turned out to be Chibi/Little Things That Kill
, which won three catagories, winning the AX2k3 by default. It's a funny video(Plum from Chobits owns Vegita at the end lol), but I thought Leaves of Happaness-which had a really really funny music-was funnier overall. I was surprised that one of the videos-I believe it was Questionable Gender-featured I My Me Strawberry Eggs, I thought it was rather underated show. Mitternaucht(*sp?) won the Action. The Rahxephon video whose name I can't remember for the life of me, had INCREDIBLE technicalities. EVERY frame was animating, the music was good, and it was the one I voted for overall best video. It won the Staff's favorite on the Masquerade next day. Check those out, in a week or two AMV.org should have all the videos available(they don't now, they're missing the Metropolis one and few others). After 25+ music videos showing, it was over at 1:00 PM, but I still made it to Video 3 which had Midnight Madness going on. I'll get to that later.

Yuki Kajira Concert was held right before AMV, I heard it went well. I arrive at the end of it(so I could get ready for AMV) to catch the last part of the show, the encore was the twilight music from .hack//sign. The violin was excellent, it was one of the major events, ending at 3000+ seating I think.

J-Rock concert on Saturday on the other hand, was a bit of dissappointment. There WERE enough crowd to have the concert going, in fact a very dedicated group of fans that gave securities/volunteers including myself a bit of hard time when they tried to go over the protection rope to touch the band members, but the number of fans who showed up reached barely two hundred. The Dance Hall which seemed like only a quarter of Main Event room, still didn't fill up after concert started. One thing though, I think these guys have very good showmanship! Fans there went fanatic, and my earplug went out in the middle of concert, so it was real loud. It was a bit scary when they started headbanging. The way they were performing was very cool, and I enjoyed the music. One of volunteer who I shared crash space "accidently" got his jackets signed lol, he got to keep that staff jacket after the concert. Lucky bastard lol kid also got hooked up the band's drum stick. After this whole thing was over though, we actually had enough time to go to Masquerades and catch the second half of Masquerades. Masquerade.. well it was entertaining, but it's pretty much the same every year. People come up, show their costumes with a little skit, go back down. Stage Ninja guy was cool idea though.

Hmm... Exhibition.
First impression was definitely kick ass. As expected the hall was much, much bigger than last year, the best part was that there were no lines to get in for the most of it. It was down at the convention center. Sunday had a little line, but that's because everyone who went on Sunday pretty much went only to Exhibit Hall for shopping and nothing else. At the entrance was a giant 20 footer ad for VIZ/Shonen Jump, and next to elivator was even bigger 30 footer giant scroll from Pioneer featuring Haibane Renmei/Last Exile and some other anime. That thing was so big that it had to be hung from 2nd floor.
Inside Hall next to food place was a huge Eva scroll also. Funimation-they kickass-brought inside the Exhibition Hall a Hummer, painted with their characters on them. DBZ guys, Yu Yu Hakusho Guys, etc. It was Tokyopop instead of Comics One who had freebies, which was different from what I was told. They had 3 different comic book compilation thingy given out every day. Comics One though, had an ad for NOW:Odd Rain, being a Korean guy I was happy that Korean stuff were showing up too(I heard there was even a panel for Ragnarok Online). There were also some hentai shops at various places, I was surprised because Disney who owns this whole block the AX was held, had not blocked hentai unlike the past years of AX.
Part of Exhibition hall was devoted for Yoshitoshi ABe's art exhibitions, too bad though the man himself I couldn't meet. A lot of his recognizable stuff were there. Niea_7 the sunflower illustration, Haibane Renmei featuring Rakka, Lain wearing a headphone, etc etc. I didn't recognize every one of the illustrations, I'm guessing he's gonna churn out some more anime pretty soon. He is.. a genius. I love how his drawing don't look anything like the typical anime.
Play Magazine had a dreamcast out for people who subscribed(Puzzle Fighter!!1). Their booth had Akumachan from Shoryuken board working there, I was surprised. I won't reveal her real name though.
Anime Gamers' Dejiko(Di Gi Charat) hats were so damn awesome I had to get one. There were few of good original merchandises, Ein plush doll and Sosouke's ninja bandana, and the wooden sword were couple of better ones.
Oh, the plastic bags. I love the plastic bags this year. Central Park Media's bag had Rodoss War and Alien Nine illustration on each sides, There were also Please Teacher bags, the black bags from G-collections(hmm makes you wonder what comes inside the black bags). The big shonen jump bags from registeration, etc there must have been at least four different bags this year. I loved the Alien Nine one the most, it had kasumi or what's her face on it.

There were a ton of things my poor wallet couldn't handle. In the end I limited myself to spend 60 bucks including food, parking fees, etc.
I found the cell of Tina from Ai Yori Aoshi which almost had me spent 40 bucks, I had to hold back. sob. Then I almost bought the manga standees. They had Tokyopop's Love Hina manga holder thingy standy, but instead of comic books they were selling pocky from it. It went on sale for 140 bucks, it would have been cool/extremely geeky to have in my room.
I could almost have spent the whole day at exhibition. It just kicked ass.

Other than those bits, well I went to AnimeNation meeting, which was kinda cool. Mr Jones rules!!1 lol Hopefully next year we could do more stuff than just going to AnimeNation booth and talk about the website.

Since the required hours were 22 hours for a full convention refund for volunteer membership, I didn't get to catch a lot of video and film showing. I could have signed up for them if I waited, but my lazy ass just didn't allow me to burn time at AX, I burned most of the volunteering time in front of Exhibit Hall entrance, yelling "May I check your badges." ^_^ The ones I did get to see were good though, Narue no Sekai had a premiering show, and Midnight Madness was the effin shit. Animatrix, well I've seen it but still, seeing it at a con made it REALLY good.
Midnight Madness(the "blank space" in the programming guide, because they were showing partially adult stuff and fansubs). Basically, it was like a mini anime club meeting over at video 3 past midnights, the staff guy was cool, everyone else were cool(or rather, tired as hell so they were not annoying), and it was six hours of fansubs/live action movies/shows people missed, basically audiences deceded what to watch. Macross Zero episodes 1 and 2 were played over there, man WHAT a SHOW. When *spoiler* the red valkyrie showed up, our group went "Oh, shit!!" at the same time. *end spoiler* Live action version of Battle Royale actually wasn't too bad, of course the whole thing was grossly bloodly and violent, but the movie is excellent. It's definitely better than the alternative, which was Shaolin Soccer. GTO marathon we honestly could have lived without, but the damn fanboys thought it was best thing Mother Nature gave us. >:/ Last Exile episode 1~3 and Wolf's Rain episodes 1~3, everyone's seen them, still great shows. Though, I personally don't like digisubs, these particular Anime Junkies episodes were decent, and the projection wasn't too blurry. Last night though, teenagers running around throwing chair all over the place and stealing DVD region free player sucked. Honestly, I don't get people sometimes. But other than that it was good, I think next year I'll only show up at Midnight Madness, I liked [the most of] friendly guys over there.

Oh speaking of little kids lol my roommate for the crash place got drunk and he was puking all over the place, lol. I think he cleared out half of our alcohol-I donno what it is, I don't drink-It was hilarious, we threw him into restroom, he was crawling around the toilet, then he got stuck inbetween the toilet and the bathtub and he couldn't get up, then he started grabbing the edge of toilet, inviting his homies in.

I loved this expo. I ended up only spending about 80 bucks including gas, food, etc everything. I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did.
Old 7 Jul 03, 09:01
Party dude

Quote:
LMAO yea I saw that man faye too, he was there on the first day.. his costumes were too.. tight yuck I have the picture, but unfortunately it's an ass shot lol if you guys want it I'll put it up. The sad thing is that it was in fact an excellent costume job. =x
My friend Got a up-front picute. I'm not asking for it though... I'm hoping I don't have to see it again.

" I've gain alot of respect for weomen" -the faye guy

That dosnt mean you have to disrepsct men -my thoughts.

Too bad it was my first year so I missed out a few things, But still it was great. I know to save up more for next year now. I hope it's still at the same place.

And you Did not have to say you got an Ass shot! You puting Salt on my scar... But yeah... It was how faye dresses... but He's NOT ANYTHING CLOSE TO FAYE. It's disturbing...

Ok, I'm off to find something to distract me. Perhaps read some on the preview mangas. Later.

-frostydragon
im sorry but black people are looters... white people on the other hand are serial killers and rapists while hispanics are smugglers and asians are... well they have small can of beanss so i guess they dont need anything else to go agaisnt them
Old 7 Jul 03, 09:07

I'm starting to regret the ass shot myself lol
I was the volunteer to check badges in front of Exhibit Hall Entrance at the time I took the picture, so I couldn't ask him for a pic.

It's one of those things so bad that it's funny.

If you got hooked up Viz's comic book preview compilation, read excel saga that thing is funny as hell.
Old 7 Jul 03, 11:00

You're very thorough, and are you sure that you havent missed anything? (only joking)
Old 7 Jul 03, 16:54
Beyond the Sky

Squalltherealone is an unknown quantity at this point we think

O man, i almost spent all my time shopping for manga, and playing guity gear xx in the arcades .
Old 7 Jul 03, 19:54

Quote:
Originally posted by Cid Highwind666
You're very thorough, and are you sure that you havent missed anything? (only joking)
Lol yeah I guess that was kinda excessive. I loved this year's expo. There's actually a bit more of volunteering stuff but I figured you folks won't be really interested in that kinda things.
Old 7 Jul 03, 20:01

Quote:
Originally posted by Densetsu

There's actually a bit more of volunteering stuff but I figured you folks won't be really interested in that kinda things.
If it involves anime I want to be involved!, I have sighned up to numerous forums to do with anime, I have downloaded nearly all the anime I can acquire, I have almost bought out the whole manga comics in the comic shop and he always gets more models and comics in for me (Just recentley he trusted me enough to order Full Metal Panic the whole box set) but I need more, and there are numerous times I have been mocked for liking anime, but all my true friends like it and always back me up...Just thought I would tell you all that....Stop staring at me...please...
Old 8 Jul 03, 04:42

*note: if you wanna know about just the volunteering stuff read only 1st two paragraphs, rest is pretty much a copy of my diary

The reward for volunteering is that you get your money back, get good free food, a hotel room to get rest, and meet a lot of people. First you buy the full convention membership, then show up upstairs to ask for volunteer badge and sign up. Then you work 22 plus hours and they'll give you money back on the last day, with some free stuff. It might sound like a lot, but it really isn't that hard. You could also do one-day volunteer for four days to cut the hours down to 16, after giving up hotel room privileges. Some guys though churn out 40 plus hours easily during these short three and a half days. It's the ideal job: you do what you like, whenever you like, wherever you want to, get free food and watch anime while doing your job with people who share your interests and none of the jobs involve money. I'd recommend folks to do volunteering once just so you'd know what's good, what's bad, how the whole expo works out, etc.

This year their theme was "Macross," I think because it was 20th anniversaries for robotech or something like that. Backs of our jackets had Macross illustrations, they gave robotech stuff away, etc. Volunteer Staff guides the regular volunteers, they tell us what to do, the whole deal. Anyway the jobs you do are: hospitalities, exhibition hall for badge check, video rooms, film rooms, main events, concerts, art shows and Live Programming stuff. Most of those only involves you standing up for a two hour shift, and not much else. It's work, but still a kickass because you get to watch anime, listen to music you like, all sortsa stuff while working. Harder ones are concerts, AMV, Masquerades and opening ceremonies, but those are of course the fun ones. The staff were generally cool, they even let us know how to get around the excessive parking fees(they opened their gate right after 1:00 AM, and you could also lie and say you lost the parking ticket and they'll only charge you 1 day worth of fee instead of 4 days' worth).

Volunteering was dope overall.

1st day, not much went on except for putting the promotional goodies and pocket programming guides into registration plastic bags. Then afterwards staff were introduced and we were divided into groups to share hotel rooms. With reasonable thinking they divided us into men/women groups, each group having eight to ten people in it.
When we got to the hotel room, there were already 6 guys inside. Some of these guys come all the way from Manchester, New York. one of the guys were like 60 years old. A lot of folks came from Anaheim though. I was also told that San Diego's Comic Con is in fact much better show if you like just the comics and animations, they focus on those instead of like AX which has all these panels, movies and shows. I thought it was nice to see people still doing what they enjoyed. Anyways my friend and I who volunteered together went through the rules, it's KISS or keep it simple stupid. Leave the doors open so no one has to knock and wake everyone up in the morning, use your own toothbrush, don't use hotel's fridge, etc. No problem, we could handle that. First day we decided to watch terminator 3 so we came back but the rest of expo we'd live in the room.

2nd day, I had to go back home for the summer college class because I didn't want to miss a quiz, so I ended up missing the opening ceremonies. I decided to sign up for exhibitions for the first 2 hour shift, it involves blocking people out to exhibition hall if they didn't have appropriate passes. Some folks only buy one day pass and try to use it the whole con, some folks simply don't know you have to buy passes, etc so we let them know. A lot of folks didn't really know about anime expo deal so they tried to walk in, and after I told them that they needed a badge or a stamp to get in they were like "that's ghey." shrug. I did a lot of exhibition because pretty much I get to see everyone at the expo. Cosplaying is real cool when it's done right. When they're not done well, it's still cool because it shows people not caring about looking like idiots and instead they have fun. This was when I took most of my pictures at con, I had a 27 film roll gone pretty much in 2 hours.

After it was over I was told to go back to volunteers' meeting room to sign in. By that time there was a big 52 incher flatscreen high def kickass TV in the room, so we decided to watch FLCL on it while eating some jellies. Hell, even the jellies kicked ass. America needs to learn a thing or two from other countries when it comes to making a good candy. I come back to exhibition to catch some of stuff before closing, never before in my life had I such want for a display: they had an entire series of lodoss war ova for 30 bucks, lodoss war tv for 40, and Central Park Media of course taunts me with Alien Nine region 2 release. Not only that Animenation had a release of Risky Safety, which I understand was their first release of anime period. I donno how but I ended up limiting myself and stayed happy with seeing cosplay, and getting giveaway comics from Tokyopop.

After that I went out to find my friend, and it turned out that he made friends with staff working at Robotech panel, so I wondered around a bit and find out about Midnight Madness, and went there. On the way I stopped by arcade, they had the music games, shooting games, GGXX, SC2, and CvS2, ended up playing couple of games of CVS2, my A-Kyo/Yuri really quit on me and the chipping/overhead custom combos I can usually do without even looking quite didn't work well, so I got owned miserably. Still, it was fun for a 1.00 buck spending. I realized then I just missed the DDR project which was supposed to be a different showing of AMVs, slammed myslef on teh walls and smoked a bit. That always helps.

Midnight Madness is by far best video showing. They didn't care if folks laid down, we were allowed to drink inside(well really not supposed to but they didn't care), they gave us list of anime they had and we chose what to watch, not too many idiots and newbies until the last day and it was very enjoyable for the most part. This particular night the showing voted out to be GTO and Last Exile. Last Exile is a really god show. I didn't like Gonzo's stuff because their mecha and 3d crap kept getting in my eyes, but in this show their experiences in mecha anime helped them. I realized I was falling asleep after the episode 3 of GTO though, so I couldn't catch Bible Black(yes, the porn) showing at four a.m. and decided it be best to crawl back into hotel room.

The next morning I got up fairly late at 9:30, probably because I came back after 4:00 AM, realized I didn't get much choice but to do packing because it was only shift available. Packing is self explanatory; all there is to do was grab the raijin comics issue zero, two promotional CDs, programming guide and some other ads and put them all into the shonen jump bag. The good part is that since they kept me in the volunteers' meeting room for the packaging jobs I got to see some anime. They decided to watch read or die MANGA release. Read or Die was fairly good, the voice is kinda bad but I think it's because Yomiko's Japanese VA was done so well that it makes her American counterpart sound so horrid. Today had lasagna, volunteers went into discussion like the geek we are about the cheese in lasagna, lol they were arguing whether cottage cheese were used or not. Drama about stupid stuff = comedy gold.

I think it was after this that I got to Main Event room. By this time I was finally getting used to the area: Marriot has video 1,2,3, workshops and arcade, convention center has exhibition and live programming, hilton had dance and video 4. When I got there the room was almost full and the even seemed like it was about to end. Yuki Kajira I assume is related to .hack//sign bgm. She had sung in English quite well the musics from .hack//sign.
Then the whole drama for Anime Music Video begins. My earlier post has stuff about it. I really felt bad for not letting people go to restroom, because I wasn't allowed to let them. Neither was I allowed to have anyone upstairs even if only thing they wanted was to watch the fourth of July fireworks. This, I complained at the ax grudge meeting.

AMV got done around 1:00 PM, at this point I pretty much gave up on the idea of sleeping and dragged myself to video 3, to midnight madness. Their computer was finally up and running-I suppose it was down earlier yesterday, but they couldn't hook it up so no Macross Zero. No matter. I found my college friends inside accidently, watched Battle Royale the live action movie, and shit.. that shit is so gross and shocking, it took me quite a time to get over it. There were plotholes, but the extreme violence pretty much neutralized the flaws. I wonder how the anime is like.

Saturday was the time to catch up to hours. From the 22 hours I need to complete I was only up to 13 hours at this point. I think I went from exhibition to art shows to J-rock concert all on Saturday, to gain 7 hours.
Art show turned out to be a fan auction type of deal: last year they had bunch of artists selling their own dojinshi which I enjoyed(because I also draw some scribble when I'm bored and I could definitely related to guys who constantly get told that their stuff isn't worth publishing), SPJA either changed from that or maybe I missed out, but the art show this time around was just display of fan arts which were silent auctioned. Volunteer work was just to hold visitors' bags so we could stop them from stealing fan illustrations. It was kinda stupid and I thought no one would be so low to steal a random amateur illustration for fun, but regardless, work is work.
I was released in two hours from the art show, and then two more hours I spent at Exhibition. This time my partner was a guy who used to work for Disney for crowd control, so it went rather smoothly. I wish I had such a smooth talking skill.
Anyway.

I remember somehow that I posted at animenation board to show up at their meeting at hilton, and our volunteer shift forces us to rest after each shift was over, I figured I'd go to the animenation meeting at Hilton. Pretty easily I found a big placard that read "ANF meeting @AX2003" next to Hilton lobby escalator. Surprisingly enough, there weren't that many fat geeky guys I imagined. In fact I was the only fat geeky guy. Anyway, they had a stuff bear named Mr Jones, and they used the bear to get (good) cosplayers to pose for them. Clever. They seemed like good buncha guys. It was kinda awkward though because we didn't really do much. Only forum meeting I actually went before was Shoryuken, and since we have something to do(we meet to have streetfighter tournament), it's much better. Anyway, it was rather interesting, now that I've gained the full-fledged-nerd-with-no-life title.

J-rock concert was coming that night, I needed hours so I took it. Honestly, knowing that Masquerade was to be as big as AMV if not bigger made me go against it and chose J-rock instead, but it kinda turned out wierd and J-rock became real difficult. They're kinda new, kinda famous but not the best of Japan band, they were called Duel Jewl. The crowd weren't big; they were only about 200 by my guessing, our job was to protect the band by forming a line in front of the band's stage, but man were these small 200 folks dedicated. It was an experience worth getting, now that I learned how security works at a real concerts. It was a bit rough when the vocal guy kept walking towards fans-these fans would lean all over me to just touch the vocalist. Kinda scary, they were also going "daiskiiiiii!!!11!" which cracks me up because the accent was so horrible, and because I knew rather well that the band spoke FLUENT English(they were giving us the first time volunteers tips). Their showmanship shined though, and they decided to speak Japanese to their fans instead, which I thought was kinda interesting.
It was only 9:30 after the concert, I was kinda off because I was used to having concerts over late nights/early morning, but I shrugged and went on to catch the second half of Masquerades. Unfortunately, I did not catch my friends' appearance(she was supposed to cosplay as Millia), but I stayed long enough to find out the year's amv winner. LOL they kept messing up the order, the guy would announce mitternaucht as action catagory winner, but the drama catagory winning video(the metropolis one) showed up, then the overall winner, then the rahxephon one. They never did find mitternaucht in their video so they ended up playing the full video. ^^;;

Of course it was pretty much braindead to show up again at midnight madness afterwards. It's an excellent block, well except for this one. I think I already posted earlier how teenage kids ran around with chairs and they were chanting GTO and Jubei-chan because their musclehead couldn't apparently quite catch up to the new millenium. We would suggest Air Master and Ghibli short films but they refused(or didn't understand) and kept demanding with GTO. I suspect the said group also stole the room's dvd player, because it was gone after they left. Yeah, I hate kids. However, we did get computer hooked up and all was well as Macross Zero episode one and two played. First episode is worth buying. ADV'd be retards if they don't lisense this gem pretty soom. Look for the first time you see Valkyrie. It's fucking beautiful.

Then the day was over, the last day of course is pretty much nothing except cheap exhibition and dealer's room which is filled with no profit prices of anime.. some of the anime here were cheaper than hong kong pirated ones' prices. Normally they don't let anyone inside dealers' room except exhibitors, but it's pretty easy to just walk in, no one really cares on the last day. Volunteer working was pretty much done for me, but my friend had 3 hours to catch up so we pretty much burned away that afternoon taking off 4000+ seating numberings at Main Event room. Luckly it didn't take too long. Anime expo was over at this point, it kinda felt wierd as the giant 30 footer pioneer poster was not there any more.
Staff congratulated volunteers for sticking with them and not running away, and they had their little awards. It's one of those popularity deal, you know, favorite staff/volunteer, most hours spent, cutest guy/girl/ etc. My friend won the "roy fokker award" which was supposed to be for sweet talker. This was the guy who worked for Disneyland. I think he got an Ah! My Goddess poster that AnimeEigo had during exhibition, but of course he got a clean one. Got home after 6 Sunday, time went so fast, that I could remember everything.

It's really fun. I love going to conventions. San Diego comic con starts pretty soon too.. and that's gonna be quite a show also. I'm personally looking forward to it, don't miss it.

This post was smuggled in from Mexico by Densetsu; 8 Jul 03 at 05:07.
Old 8 Jul 03, 15:57

Quite a big and thourough diary.
I wish I could have gone, why hasent dancing blades posted what he thought of it?
Old 8 Jul 03, 19:55
Party dude

Because he's busy playing tatics, well today he's at six flags.
Yeah, he only had about 25$ to spend so he wasnt able to get much. Now he knows to save more money for next time, actually we're planing on going to another kinda thing like it in august. Yuppers.

-frostydragon
Old 18 Jul 03, 07:56

Could some one give me a small list of what they bought at the Expo?
Old 18 Jul 03, 18:46
Lord:Lady

Trip is an unknown quantity at this point we think
Send a message via AIM to Trip

Whee! Um, now that I've read all your long ass messages.... I shall post my own! *grin* Copied from my xanga with some adjustments...

oh, and! Small (kind of) list of things I bought:
- Rune Soldier DVD
- 4 doujinshi ^.^
- 2 Peach Girl manga thingies
- 2 posters
- AX T-shirt

Day 1

Reg day for AX, so we went over to some hotel to line up. There was a huge line in the hallway, and once I was through with that, another huge line in the room, and then another smaller line in another room. Basically, the whole thing only took an hour for me cos' I was paid prereg, but waited four hours with David cos' he was unpaid prereg. The violinist was kind of entertaining, though I didn't recognize any of the songs... ^.^;;

Day 2

I got the change of heart Peach Girl #2, and this really really really prettyful Tidus poster! YATTA!!! ^_____^

We also went to the Opening Ceremonies, where they introduced the guests of honor. They had the producer of Scryed and Infinite Ryvius there, and the person behind the .//hack songs, which I really like. They also had these little videos to introduce each person, and everyone was cheering the whole time, and it was really cool because it was so enthusiastic. Also, the .//hack person performed one of her songs, which was pretty good.
We played some Egyptian Ratscrew while waiting in some random line, and it was really funny cos' we were using these anime playing cards, and eric was all obsessing over Chi and making retarded sounds. yes. And I lost miserably several times, because David is a loser who cheats. *glare*

And then.....wheeee!! Me David and Eric went to the J-rock concert! ^______^ Well, the first band was called Blood (i think?), and it was awesome. It was like, a standing concert, except David and Eric don't like jrock so they just sat on the side, bored out of their minds and sleeping. And I was all, AHHHH you guys can go if you're bored but they wouldn't go so I felt all guilty the whole time. >.< god. stupid boys.

But anyways, the concert! well, the lead singer had blonde hair and was v. v. v. HOT. O.O Maybe it was the makeup, but dude, hot. He was wearing this funky jacket with like, a black feather boa, and these awesome wings. One of his guitarists was a girl, and she sang a little too, and they were kinda feeling each other up onstage. which I think is kind of the norm with jrock, but i'm not sure. Actually, I'm not sure if it was even a girl, because there was this other guitarist that I thought was a girl, but actually he was a guy crossdressing. yeah. And the last guitarist was really cool, he had this fake blood, and it was all over his face and he kept coming into the crowd, too. yeah. The atmosphere was awesome despite the lack of people, and the music was really frigging loud. I really liked their songs, and the singer was awesome cause he had so much energy and was just like, headbanging and stuff all over the place.

I was really sad though cos I only had this crappy disposable camera, though, so I couldn't zoom in and take pictures. NO ZOOM DAMMIT. >.< yeah, but...the crowd kept on chanting, blood! blood! blood! except I thought the band's name was Blind, so I was all screaming, blind! blind! blind! ^.^;; Except I don't think anyone noticed, because my voice was pretty much gone by then. After awhile, Blood finished up, and there was a break to cue up Duel Jewel, except there were some problems and it took awhile. During this time, my guilt over david and eric overcame me and I was like, ok let's leave and watch the animatrix, because that's what we were planning to do, even though I really wanted to stay and watch duel jewel. >.< So we left, but I bought the cd for Blood. ^.^

Animatrix was really good, even though they had "technical difficulties" with the screen for like, forty minutes. Eventually it started, though. The Second Rennosance (I know I spelled that wrong, shut up) was decent, it was all dramatic and stuff. The art wasn't that good, though. I really liked Beyond, it was just really creepy and pretty. It was a really interesting take on the matrix, I guess...what with the "haunted house" and all. Program was really...stylistic. I personally didn't like the art, but the idea for it was good. World Record was also really stylistic, but also a good idea. The part where his muscles were like, popping, made me cringe. owwww. The one with the high school guy with the falling dream though, that was really good. I thought it flowed really nicely, and the style was interesting. near the end, though, with the repeat of the dream except in reality...that was really creepy. The "converting machines to fight for humans" movie was really weird. I mean, I liked it at the time, but looking back, it wasn't really that good. Final Flight of the Osiris had amazing graphics, and while the story wasn't too interesting, it was decent.

I dunno, all the stories were so morbid. I mean, I like morbid, but did they all have to be so depressing? I mean, come on, the amount of depression in those movies was unrealistic. Even if you're being oppressed by machines, you aren't going to be all mopey and serious all the time. that's kind of my problem with Matrix, too.... everyone's always so serious that it seems unrealistic to me.

Anyways, so mom was intending to pick me up at eleven, but we managed to buy more time and I got to stay for the whole animatrix til' twelve thirty or so. David, on the other hand, switched hotels to this hotel right next to AX, which he shared with his friends. he got to stay up til' like, six AM, and watch hentai. >.< I wanna watch hentai, dammit!!

Yeah, so that was day 2. ^.^

Day 3

Let's see. Bought stuff! OH!! I discovered yaoi doujinshi! YATTA! ^.^

Yeah so like, I bought these two, both FFX with *Tidus* and no, they had absolutely NO yaoi action in them. Maybe the text hinted at it, but I couldn't read it (duh) cos it was Japanese! All they had was like....one kiss and some hugging going on. But it was cute ^^ The vendor guy who was selling them was all yelling, Get your yaoi here! Hot man on man action!!! And then he was like, alright everyone, scream "YAOI" on the count of three!" And so we were all screaming, YAOI!!! YAOI!!! Lol That was fun.

Yeah. hmmm. Got Change of Heart Peach Girl #3, because I can't resist, and more happy happy freebies, like samplers, posters, and more playing cards. *grin* Oh, I got a free Fruits Basket poster! With SHIGURE!! WHEE!

And I watched these really really good anime.... one of them was Infinite Ryvius, and as soon as I saw the guy with the green hair and bandanna, I knew I would develop some kind of obsession with him. Because dude, he's COOL! He's like, the leader of this gang, and he has a really weird name, Airs Blue. o.O But he's HOT! and COOL!! (yatta!)

And then....AMV!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! ANIME MUSIC VIDEOS!!! Yes, I know, abuse of smilies but it represents my absolute undying LURVE for AMV. Yes. So we lined up to get tickets earlier, waiting maybe an hour to get them so we could get decent seats. Later, though, it really sucked cause they had some kind of stupid seating problems and couldn't let us in. The people with good tickets got in easy, but there was some problem with the crappy tickets. So they ended up totally disregarding the seat numbers, and just let us in to choose our own. Still, we were near the back. Good thing there were big screens set up near where we sitting, and four in all for the whole place.

So first they were playing videos from the past, so that the people just coming in wouldn't miss anything. They played this really funny Sailormoon one with Pretty Fly for a White Guy, it was like... all synchronized with the music so that it looked like the SM girls were singing, give it to me baby! And Darien going, ahuh! ahuh! Lol, it was good ^.^

And then later, they had the actual videos entered into this year's contest. I don't remember them all, but there were four categories, Drama, Action, Comedy, and amTV (videos that didn't fit into the other categories), with seven videos in each category. The title is the title of the song. Here goes:
Drama

1. Center of the Sun by Conjure One (Anime: Metropolis)- this one was the one that won the drama category. I have to admit, it was really good. The song fit perfectly to the movie Metropolis, it was just amazing. You'd have to see it to understand, but it was...just really good and strong and yes, I was tearing up (I'm a loser). I love the song.

2. Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon (anime: Evangelion) - Centers around Shinji and that girl with the orange hair. It's a good song for music videos, but it was kind of random and had no significance to me because I haven't seen Evangelion. It didn't seem to match the scenes chosen very well, though some of the effects were nice.

3. Restored Pieces (anime: Love Hina) - I thought this one was really good. ^.^ The music fit well, and the scenes, too. It was...dramatic.

4. 1000 Years by Sting (anime: FFX!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!) - hehe. Of course I liked it. The song's lyrics fit everything really nicely, but the scenes didn't really go with the music. I would've chosen something faster and not so... laid back? But still, good stuff. *TIDUS!!!!!* This is the one I voted for ^.^ Even though I really liked Center of the Sun....I gotta be loyal to my Tidus!

Action

1. Souls of Rage and Sorrow (anime: Escaflowne) - Voted for this one ^.^ The song was awesome, even if the vid wasn't so relevant cos' I haven't seen Esca either. But....DILANDAU!!! *squee* I like him. He likes to burn stuff.... ^__^ *grin* I'm currently trying to find the song to d/l cause it was really good....

2. Eternal Damnation (anime: Hellsing) - Eh, don't really remember it, except I liked the song ^.^

3. Mitternacht (Hellsing) - This is the one that won the action category. Really....atmospheric and creepy. I love the song, it's freaky as hell with this german dude saying 'mitternacht' a lot. It fits the Hellsing anime, mainly cos' Hellsing is just plain weird and freaky. Although, it does get a tad repetitive near the end because the song has no lyrics, so it's hard to get the scenes to match stuff.

4. Femme Fatales (Noir) - Ehhh.... not that good. Just the two characters, and a lot of shooting. Really repetitive.

5. Eye of the battosai (Rorouni Kenshin) - mm. okay. Yeah, I'm prejudiced cause I hate Kenshin, but it was alright. I guess.

Comedy

1. Leaves of Happaness (various anime) - YATTTTTTTAAAAAAA!!! bus bus bus bus!! ^_________^
Heehee. If you can't tell already, this was my favorite. It was awesome, dude. It really should've won. The crowd was cheering and screaming the whole way through. It was, just, AHHHH!!! Hilarious ^.^ And after they played this, through the whole rest of AX, people kept on randomly screaming, YATTA! Like, in between every video at AMV, the people behind me were screaming it, and during Masquerade, too. But, getting ahead of myself here. Will talk about masquerade later ^.^
...Yeah. And the people were like, synchronized with the lyrics, so it looked like they were saying them, and it was really funny.

2. Chibi Things that Kill (anime: pokemon, kenshin, more) - Hmm. This is the one that won like, four awards. It was basically taking cute little things and inserting them into battle scenes, making it look like the big tough fighter guys are being beat by like, jigglypuff and tama-chan, ect. I really liked the part where Majin Veggie gets his ass kicked by the little chobits persocom thing, and then they stick this text on him saying "owned." ^.^ The really cool part is how they can make it look like, say, um...jigglypuff and kenshin are actually fighting. Though, I dunno, it gets kind of repetitive. And I'm mad at it for beating Leaves of Happaness. *glare* I dunno. It was too random and messy and stuff for me.

3. Without GTO, the song being Without Me by Eminem (anime: duh, GTO!) - Funny stuff ^.^

amTV

1. Stop the Rock (anime: various) - Won one award, not sure which. It was decent, with the whole synchronized thing so it looks like the characters are speaking the lyrics of the song ^.^

2. Questionable Gender - lol, if you can't tell from the title, I like this one! ^.^ It's about, like. This guy who crossdresses into a girl, and the video shows the "transformation." The song for it's Aerosmith's Like a Lady (I think). It was funny, though it dragged on a little later on.

3. Euphoria - Won two awards. Is really really cool, and unique, because they have like, all these effects that run consistent throughout the whole video. And like...the lyrics work really well, and the scenes chosen to match them are really powerful. I thought it was really amazing, even though I had no clue what the anime was ^.^ It was...dunno, really artistic and beautiful.
Okay, more coming later ^.^ but yeah, amv was one of the best parts of AX, besides the YAOI!!!

YATTA!!

Day 4

Let's see. Watched stuff. I think I watched Rune Soldier today, and ended up buying the DVD cos' it's pretty good ^.^ DNA squared was also really funny.

But, the big thing! masquerade!! *grin* Well, I can't say the skits were all too good....maybe I'm just too critical of stuff. =/ But the costumes were really nice, and I saw this guy dressed as Lulu!! *is happy* Actually, I couldn't tell he was a guy at first... I was kinda like, staring because I was trying to figure it out. ^.^;; I actually started out watching waaay in the back, while everyone else got to be in the front cos' they had vouchers. So eventually they were like, there's an empty seat, so I got to sit in front. Looking back I feel kind of guilty.... but not really. The screens just came out really...fuzzy and dark, so watching the actual thing was a lot better.

Day 5

Last day. Well...got up and went over to the hotel, but all the guys were still sleeping. I had to knock for like, ten minutes before they even answered the door, and then it was like...okay, nevermind.

So I went off and watched Scryed for a while, because I love Scryed. It's my baby. I had to sit through Mao-chan to watch it though, which was...ugh. I was dying. Sometime during all this I also saw Last Exile, which was pretty but kind of boring. Not really my type. Haibane Renmei was just....ugh. I dunno. Nothing happened, and it was just really....unrealistic. I think the concept was interesting, but I hated all the characters. =/ Maybe it gets better later on or something....

Anyways, so, yeah. That was it.
Old 19 Jul 03, 08:38

Euphoria, that was it. The rahxephon one. That's best video I have seen.. ever.
Questionable Gender was from I, My, Me, Strawberry Eggs. It's a pretty good series, check it out.

The Masquerades, well the point is to see people in costumes, not the acting. The acting were horrible.

I apologize again for the line for Anime Music Videos. A lot of problem was that the seats were in total random orders, and that people without tickets started showing up for the show. We tried to get people organized and in asap.

list of things I bought:
Digi Charat Dejiko's hat
Ein Plushie
1 year subscription to Play magazine
.. that's pretty much it. They didn't have much of a deal this year, except that fake ass HK fuckers.